Tuesday, April 16, 2013

App Review: Tamagotchi L.i.f.e.

Raising those beloved virtual pets of old? There's finally an app for that!

tamagotchi l.i.f.e.
It's going to be difficult to screw this up.
Everyone knows Tamagotchi. It was a craze back in the 90's and every kid in school wanted one of them portable pixelated virtual pets who do nothing but eat, sleep, and poop.

Case in point: My pet with two out of the three.
Admittedly, I am one of those who missed playing this game and I was looking around iTunes and Google Play for any app even reminiscent of the classic experience. Unfortunately, none of the available apps were official nor came close, so I was glad when I heard from my brother that this app is available, and free too! (However, only for US and Canada accounts)

Released in time for the Tamagotchi's 16th birthday, L.i.f.e. stands for "Love is fun everywhere", which sounds cute, but weird. It plays pretty much exactly like the old one with a few added features like being able to "collect" Tamagotchi types for your journal, and changing your backgrounds. It neatly comes with two views and control schemes. The default one is as above, while another available view is that of the original, with a lower resolution, complete with the shell for even more nostalgia.

My pet smiley.
As fun as the app is, I might eventually get tired of it before I complete what the game has to offer. This could be remedied by adding more evolution types, food types, games, and social features. (Seriously, my tamagotchis are getting real sick of bread and candy). It does not nearly have enough content as it should have but this app, which runs very smoothly and looks good, is a great start.

The dreaded PSOD.
Verdict: 3.5/5 - Could be much better with the mentioned updates and improvement, but it is a fun, solid app to start with.

Love Tamagotchi? Hate it? Let me know by commenting below or just tweet me!

- Joaquin

TAMAGOTCHI L.I.F.E.
Website: http://tamagotchilife.com/
Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.namcobandaigames.tamagotchilife
iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/app/id608818625

0 comments:

Post a Comment