Friday, April 19, 2013

Movie Review: Oblivion

Image from here.
I love good Sci-Fi movies and Tom Cruise is my favourite actor of all time (no homo). I was really looking forward to this! We made last-minute plans to watch it one afternoon and had to race to Walter Mart Makati to catch the screening. We were about ten minutes late so we missed the start. :(

Earth has successfully fought off an alien invasion but it was an extremely Pyrrhic victory. The planet is no longer inhabitable and the human race has moved on to outer space. Tom Cruise is Jack Harper, a technician on clean-up duties in what is left of our world. Interesting events then happen one after another and the rest is Oblivion!

This movie was much better than I expected. Although the scale wasn't as grand as I would have liked, the movie amazed in its own right. The tech was very cool and there were several visually stunning scenes. The protagonist, Jack Harper is very likeable and is someone you can easily relate to, despite the vastly different circumstance. What I love about the movie is the unexpectedly deep and interesting plot. After some twists and turns, I was already on the edge of my seat. It didn't stop there as it surprisingly had even more up its futuristic sleeve.

A great movie is one that keeps you engaged and really gets you thinking. From Jack's perspective to all the different aspects of the story, there's definitely much to ponder about in this film.

Other notable cast:
Morgan Freeman - "The voice of God" himself is in the movie. I won't get into details about who he is.
Nikolaj Coster-Waldau - I have no idea how to pronounce that. He is better known as Jamie Lannister from Game of Thrones.

Verdict: 4/5 - Definitely a movie to see for a good Sci-Fi tale. Tom Cruise knows how to pick his movies and this is no exception.

Loved Oblivion? Hated it? Let me know by commenting below, or just tweet me!

- Joaquin

0 comments:

Post a Comment