Friday, July 5, 2013

Uncle Cheffy: A Piece 'a Panizza

To celebrate a special day, we (or was it just Alvie? lol) were invited to grab lunch at Uncle Cheffy with friends. I have never eaten here, so I was looking forward to it!

uncle cheffy
Awesome sign! It's like it's out of a comic.
We were late but arrived just in time *wink wink* because our arrival coincided with that of all the food. Not on purpose, I promise!

uncle cheffy
Memphis Barbeque U.S. Beef Rib Finger, P595.00
(1,000 grams) with salad and marble potatoes and sauces.
Ribs! Boy, do they know how to start off a meal!
This looks good, but what was on the menu looked SO much better (see link below). Menu deceptions aren't very rare, I guess, so that's fine. This dish was also just fine for me. I liked the volume of the meat, but felt that the taste was just okay. The meat was tender enough. If I were to compare, I'd say this is a far cry from Racks' tender ribs or New Orleans' flavorful ribs.

uncle cheffy
Spaghetti Alejandro, P350.00
Spanish inspired pasta with tomato sauce, smoked chorizo, pimientos and edam cheese.
While I love giant pieces of cheese as much as anyone, this did not look very appetizing to me. But hey, I love pasta. I didn't really taste chorizo or much else because this just tasted like tomato sauce. Nothing more. Pasta doesn't seem to be their specialty but I think they need to up the ante on this one.

uncle cheffy
Tiuey Noodles, P295.00
Asian fried noodles with beef, asparagus and cilantro.
I should have said "no uey" to this dish (Just kidding! I didn't order). This was much better (and cheaper) than the spaghetti, but I don't quite understand the charm of this dish. It's Asian but does not taste like it is. It still tasted very much like a pasta dish and I could taste some tomato sauce.here, too. I don't recall that it had asparagus. Hmm, I suggest just avoiding the noodles at Uncle Cheffy's. They aren't horrible, and perhaps this is just personal preference. No one else voiced displeasure over the noodles, but no one was raving about them either.

uncle cheffy
Chicken Maurino
I couldn't find this on the menu so it might only be available as a part of the panizza set (details in menu link below). The chicken was alright and tasted a lot like chicken estofado, which tastes a lot like adobo, which isn't my thing.

uncle cheffy
Panizza (clockwise from top):
East Meets West, P495.00 for 1 whole
Larry's Craving, P495.00 for 1 whole
Uncle Cheffy Favorites, P395.00 for 1 whole
Seafood Lovers, P425.00 for 1 whole
This isn't normally available and is also a part of the set whose menu is below. You get to try 4 for the price one. Not bad, eh? I'm not really going to describe each flavor because apart from some small differences, they all tasted very similar. Honestly, I'm not a fan of thin pizza, and the flavors of these panizzas seemed quite subdued and lacking in life for me. One fun part is how the panizza is eaten. You add lettuce, alfalfa, tomatoes and roll it all up like so:


Fun, yes, and it grants a different experience but the taste came short for us. This, considering the fact that I love all pizza. Focaccia in A. Venue has a better version of this, but just the same, I don't like my pizza thin! :P

Menu:
Uncle Cheffy Specialties
Brick-Oven Panizza
Panizza Sets

Verdict:
Memphis Barbeque U.S. Beef Rib Finger: Okay
Spaghetti Alejandro: Bad
Tiuey Noodles: Okay
Chicken Maurino: Okay
Panizza: Okay

I don't enjoy being overly critical but there you have it! I expected a lot more because it seems to remain a strong restaurant in Burgos Circle after a long while and I heard good things about it. Perhaps we were just really unlucky? or perhaps it's just a matter of preference. Anyways, it was still a fun occasion and the service was quite good.

Thanks, Edrik! :)
Love Uncle Cheffy? Please let me know what dishes are good! Comment below or just tweet me!



Other Restaurants in The Fort:
Good Earth Roasts (GER)
Gyu-Kaku: The Time is Ripe to Grill Some Tripe
IHOP: The Latest Pancake Craze
Jollibee: Ultimate Burger Steak and Flip Float
Kasbah: A Moroccan Lunch
Pancake House: Cookie Butter Pancakes Surprise
The Best Pasta of Pasto
Racks: My Favourite Ribs
Red Garlic Bistro: Trotting the Globe, Clove by Clove
S&R: My Favourite Pizza
Saboten: Enjoyin' Some Loin
Saint's Alp: Taiwanese Chicken Goodness
Sbarro: Rolling in the Deep Dish
SM Aura Premier: Pepper Lunch Express under the Sky Park
Stacy's: The Sweet Kind of Retro
Stella Wood Fired Bistro: Nothing Less Than Stellar
Sunshine Kitchen: Second Dawn
Tapeo: Spanish Surprise at the Fort Strip
The Cheese Steak Shop: Philly Cheese Steaks in the Phillyppines
Toast Box: Going Goreng
Tokyo Tokyo: Burgers and Chopsticks
The Kebab Factory: The TKF Trilogy
Wildflour's Cronut: The Doughnut and Croissant's Love Child
Wrong Ramen: The Weirder, The Better

UNCLE CHEFFY
Forbes Town Center, Rizal Drive,
Fort Bonifacio, Taguig city
(02) 659-8030
Operating Hours:
Mon - Sat: 11:00 am - 2:00 am
Sun: 11:00 am - 11:00 pm
Facebook: Uncle Cheffy


View Larger Map

1 comment:

  1. tried it for the first time last night and it was one of the worst set of food I've eaten and for that price too! I've ordered basically the same thing you did; the panizza has zero taste, the spaghetti tastes like it's been microwaved, the ribs are horrible. It's a wonder this restaurant continues to exist.

    ReplyDelete