Sunday, June 2, 2013

Sunshine Kitchen: Second Dawn

sunshine kitchen
Beyond the darkness, lies greatness.
Okay, I just totally ripped that off of Star Trek Into Darkness, but I thought it fit the picture. We've already done a post on this place but one visit is far from enough to fully explore the sunshine in this kitchen. There was a Groupon deal out and we took the offer immediately for some discounted exploring. :)

sunshine kitchen
You'll need a couple of visits to try out their many dishes.
I mentioned last time that I would return to try the Rabo del Toro. Now, I says what I means and I means what I says!

sunshine kitchen
Rabo del Toro or Oxtail Stew, P420.00
with rice pilaf.
Okay, it's quite pricey, but I wanted to try this. I've only ever tried it from my cousin Maite, who learned about this dish during her travels in Spain and expertly duplicated it at home. She must have set the bar pretty high, because I didn't like this rabo as much. It was still good, but this will not be a regular order of mine. The meat was tender and flavorful, and was great with the rice. Pretty much as good as it looks in the picture.

sunshine kitchen
6 Hours Slow Roast Porchetta, P480.00
This one was also as good as it looks. The 6 hours must have worked wonders for this piece of pork. Think Bagnet with more delicate skin, and softer, juicier meat. Delicious.

sunshine kitchen
American Southern Style Fried Chicken with Gravy
5 pieces with Mashed Potatoes, P320.00
This order was more reasonably priced, but it was pretty much the same as home-cooked fried chicken. Nothing special for me, but if you miss home or just love all kinds of fried chicken, you might enjoy it. KFC is always my baseline for great fried chicken and this wasn't as good. Haha. The mashed potatoes were rich and creamy. Perfect texture, and you can use the light gravy for taste.

On our third visit (yes, a third), we opted to forego the expensive rice dishes for some expensive pizza instead and happily declared it Pizza day! We ordered the Sunshine Pizza again and it was still our favourite. Here are the others we tried that day:

sunshine kitchen
Cristal's Choice, P420.00
marinara sauce, mozzarella, anchovies, tomatoes, garlic oil.
The salty-toothed Cristal knows her pizza. I loved the taste of the anchovies. It reminded me of Magoo's great crunchy pizza. I didn't really get to taste much else due to the strength of the fish taste, but I'm not complaining. The garlic on the side is really fun to eat, too. It had the consistency of soft, soft potato with an addictive taste. 3 of us split the garlic evenly because we all enjoyed it. Nothing gets left behind!

sunshine kitchen
4 Cheese, forgot the price but likely around P420.00
All pizza is good. This one tasted mostly just like Cristal's Choice sans the anchovies, so we didn't like it as much. I loved it only because I love pizza, but the taste was pretty plain for me, or my tongue isn't sensitive enough to appreciate it. :)

Verdict:
Rabo del Toro or Oxtail Stew: Good
6 Hours Slow Roast Porchetta: Good
American Southern Style Fried Chicken with Gravy and Mashed Potatoes: Okay
Cristal's Choice: Good
4 Cheese: Okay

One thing I can say about Sunshine Kitchen is your meal will rarely be ordinary. They've been mostly consistent in serving good dishes, so if you don't mind spending a bit more for a solid, sunny lunch experience, this is the place for you!

Love Sunshine Kitchen? Hate it? Let me know by commenting below, or just tweet me!



The Groupon Deal:
http://www.beeconomic.com.ph/deals/metro_manila/Sunshine-Kitchen/716948309

The First Visit to Sunshine Kitchen:
Sunshine Kitchen: Get your Sunny Side Up

Other Restaurants in The Fort Strip:
Good Earth Roasts (GER)
Kasbah: A Moroccan Lunch
Racks: My Favourite Ribs
Tapeo: Spanish Surprise at the Fort Strip
The Cheese Steak Shop: Philly Cheese Steaks in the Phillyppines

Other Restaurants in The Fort:
IHOP: The Latest Pancake Craze
Jollibee: Ultimate Burger Steak and Flip Float
S&R: My Favourite Pizza
Saint's Alp: Taiwanese Chicken Goodness
SM Aura Premier: Pepper Lunch Express under the Sky Park
Stacy's: The Sweet Kind of Retro
Stella Wood Fired Bistro: Nothing Less Than Stellar
Toast Box: Going Goreng
The Kebab Factory: The TKF Trilogy
Wrong Ramen: The Weirder, The Better

SUNSHINE KITCHEN
2nd Level, Fort Pointe Bldg.,
The Fort Strip (at 7th Ave. & 28th St.),
Taguig City
(02) 847-2791 / (0929) 813-9775
Operating Hours:
Mon - Wed: 11:00 am - 2:00 pm, 6:00 pm - 10:30 pm
Thu - Sat: 11:00 am - 2:00 pm, 6:00 pm - 2:00 am
Sun: 11:00 am - 2:00 pm, 6:00 pm - 10:30 pm
Facebook: Sunshine Kitchen


View Larger Map

0 comments:

Post a Comment