Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Sugar Bites: Mooncakes

sugar bites
Mooncakes to send me over the moon.
I don't know much about the Chinese pastry called the Mooncake, other than the fact that I enjoy it. I first learned about the Mooncake during college. A bit late in my life, I guess. Haha. One of the first things I noticed when trying it the first time was that it's a lot like Hopia, but richer and what I loved about it is sometimes, there's a lovely salted egg yolk (or two!) inside. Delicious! I then found out that it is part of the Chinese culture and the time of the mooncake is during September every year, where Mooncake Festivals are also held (something I've never gotten to attend). Being a Mooncake fan, all I could do is wait for that time of the year and hope some of my thoughtful and generous Chinese friends share some of theirs with me. Just like tikoy. Haha!

I was in such luck this year, because Alvie's relatives, owners of the fine establishment, Sugar Bites, sent over some delicious mooncakes, and I figured I'd write a post about it. :)

sugar bites
Beans Cream Mooncake with Egg
They have two main varieties of Mooncake, each with the option of having an egg or not (Why not, though??). The Beans Cream version is very similar to mongo hopia in terms of filling, only much denser. I did like this one, but I liked the other one much better...

sugar bites
Lotus Cream Mooncake with Egg
While I don't know what exactly Lotus is made of, I do know it tastes great! I think this is the more common filling for Mooncake, too. Check out that huge egg yolk, too! Yum!

Unfortunately, Sugar Bites is no longer selling the mooncakes as of this writing, so I guess we'll just have to wait until the next Mooncake season. Looking forward to it!



Our visit to Sugar Bites:
Sugar Bites: Sweetening Up Sucat

SUGAR BITES
Dr A Santos Ave
San Dionisio, ParaƱaque City
(02) 828-8332
Operating Hours: 9:00 am - 11:00 pm
Facebook: Sugarbites


View Larger Map

2 comments: