Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Movie Review: Iron Man 3

Image from here.
Stuffed from wolfing down Chili's burgers at today's Annual Big Mouth Burger day, we headed on to the movies to see one of this year's most anticipated blockbusters!

Iron Man 3 is the first sequel to Marvel's great superhero mashup, The Avengers. Tony Stark, who has never stopped innovating since the last time the heroes saved the world, now has to face the very mysterious and powerful villain called "The Mandarin".

I'm going to start by saying this is the best Iron Man movie so far. The story is great and adds depth to the character of Tony Stark (and Robert Downey Jr.'s acting) and what drives him. I really liked The Mandarin, played by the non-Chinese Ben Kingsley and how he challenged our hero. I find myself laughing though, when I hear him speak with his Joker-ish accent, especially the line that was featured in the trailer, "You'll neverrrr seee me coming...".

In the past movies, Iron Man rarely ever seems to have a hard time saving the day. I love how, as suggested in the trailer, he is now pushed to much lower depths than ever before. There is a good amount of drama, action, and comedy in this tale. What I found to be lacking in this film is an awesome soundtrack of heavy rock 'n' roll hits like in the first movies, but this was one of the only flaws for me.

Other Notable Cast:
Gwyneth Paltrow - reprising her role as Pepper Potts
Guy Pearce - playing the role of a fellow scientist, Aldrich Killian
Paul Bettany - only as the voice of Jarvis
Don Cheadle - as Tony's friend, James Rhodes
Jon Favreau - I know this guy from Friends as Monica's boyfriend
James Badge Dale - You might know him as Chase from 24
Rebecca Mader - I'm not sure about this because she's not listed on IMDb, but I think I saw Charlotte from Lost
Stan Lee - Of course.

Verdict: 4/5 - The best Iron Man movie so far. I am really looking forward to the next Marvel movies to come.

With great movies one after another, it looks like Marvel has finally figured out how to make 'em good. This movie really breaks through all expectations set by the trailer and is a solid superhero movie. Go watch it!!! I shouldn't need to tell you this, but stay on until after the credits. ;)

Loved Iron Man 3? Hated it? Let me know by commenting below, or just tweet me!

- Joaquin

0 comments:

Post a Comment