Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Sunshine Kitchen: Get your Sunny Side Up

I happened upon this restaurant's Facebook page and seeing that it's just along Fort Strip, which is very near where we work, we decided to go for a visit one Friday. It is quite hidden and once there, the only evidence we saw of the place was their tarp outside, which we strangely never noticed in the past. We headed up the stairs near Pasto and finally saw the elusive establishment.

Sunshine Kitchen's sunshiny kitchen.
It had a nice, bright, rightfully sunny atmosphere and we took our table near the window for even more refreshing sunlight. The waiter told us they have been open since February 27, which surprised us because we've never heard about it or seen it passing by. Apparently, we weren't the only ones behind on the news since it was very empty for Friday lunch. There was only one other table being served when we arrived.

What struck our interest were the food pictures on their Facebook page, with unique pizzas and some Spanish cuisine. I find that there is a great lack of good, affordable Spanish cuisine around so I had high hopes for this one.

Callos, P260.00
Having missed our chance at callos during our dinner at Peri-Peri Grill House, we easily chose to have this for our appetizer. The bread went perfectly with the callos with its splendid texture. The callos itself was good, and had a good balance of ingredients. It is far from the garbanzos-overloaded nightmare some restaurants call callos. While it was fun munching on this, we immediately noticed that while it was flavorful, it was quite salty, making it difficult to savor the actual taste of the dish. The tripe could have been more tender too.

Cabanatuan Longganisa Paella with 2 Fried Eggs, P480.00
Sticking to our Spanish theme, we ordered the paella. I have been craving for good Paella for a while so I was looking forward to this. The menu described it as good for two, but if this is all you'll order, I think it'll be just barely enough. As you can see above, it looked very appealing and I enjoyed it. Since it had no seafood though, (my fault for assuming) it did not satiate my craving. Nonetheless, it was still quite flavorful and I loved the crispy grains of rice that lined the sides of the paellera. Yum!

Sunshine Pizza, P550.00
The friends we had lunch with ordered the sunshine pizza and when I tasted it, I slightly regretted my order. It was my personal favorite of the day. It is described on the menu as having "marinara, Cabanatuan longganisa, porchetta, mozzarella, ricotta, bell pepper". They forgot the egg! It looked great and tasted delicious.

Verdict: 
Callos: Good
Cabanatuan Longganisa Paella with 2 Fried Eggs: Good
Sunshine Pizza: Quite Good

Sunshine Pizza is a nice addition to the set of restaurants available at the Fort Strip for their sunny place and interesting food. We enjoyed our meal, though we found the paella and pizza to be a bit pricey. I saw that they have Rabo de Toro, a rare Spanish dish so I want to come back and try that out!

Love Sunshine Kitchen? Hate it? Let me know by commenting below, or you can tweet me!

- Joaquin

Update: We came back! Here's the second review:
Sunshine Kitchen: Second Dawn

SUNSHINE KITCHEN
2nd Level, The Fort Strip (at 7th Ave. & 28th St.),
Taguig City
(02) 847-2791 / (0929) 8139775
Operating Hours:
Mon - Wed: 11:00 am - 2:00 pm, 6:00 pm - 10:30 pm
Thu - Sat: 11:00 am - 2:00 pm, 6:00 pm - 2:00 am
Sun: 11:00 am - 2:00 pm, 6:00 pm - 10:30 pm
Facebook: Sunshine Kitchen


View Larger Map

0 comments:

Post a Comment