Sunday, May 19, 2013

Movie Review: Star Trek Into Darkness

Image from here.
Beyond the darkness, lies greatness.

Star Trek Into Darkness is the second film in the franchise's recent reboot. The USS Enterprise faces a vicious threat in the character of Commander John Harrison, portrayed by none other than Sherlock's Benedict Cumberbatch.

I won't get into many details of the plot to leave your experience as unsullied as possible, but I can tell you it is a great movie and yes, it is better than the first. That's coming from yours truly, a fervent Star Wars fan and a Star Trek amateur.

The whole crew is back and played by the same actors from the first film. I must say, I'm still not a total fan of Chris Pine as James T. Kirk, but the idea is growing on me. He did a good job and is proving himself to be much more than a teen movie star. Zachary Quinto plays a good Spock, but I can never ever unsee Sylar when I see him. I'd sooner imagine him pulling off a telekinetic head slice rather than a Vulcan nerve pinch.

Benedict Cumberbatch steals this show. When a villain is so good, that you find yourself waiting for the next scene he's in, you know he's a damn good villain. It was similar watching The Dark Knight (and even its sequel for me), I almost felt like "aww man, another Batman scene..". Star Trek Into Darkness is one such film. As Sherlock, I always found him to be quite awkward and lanky, so I was impressed to see him convincingly portray a more physically able role.

They did a great job on this film, and knowing that the director, J.J. Abrams is also doing the much-awaited 7th Star Wars film, I have high hopes that he'll come through on that, too.

Other Notable Cast:
Zoe Saldana as Nyota Uhura - She is Neytiri from Avatar.
Karl Urban as Dr. Leonard "Bones" McCoy - He is Eomer from Lord of the Rings, and the new Judge Dredd!
Simon Pegg as Montgomery "Scotty" Scott - None other than Shaun of the Dead.
John Cho as Hikaru Sulu - Harold from Harold & Kumar!
Peter Weller as Alexander Marcus - The original RoboCop and Stan Liddy from Dexter.
Nolan North - He is the voice of Uncharted's Nathan Drake and Assassin's Creed's Desmond Miles. Big names, huh? Can you spot him in the film? I wasn't able to..

Verdict: 4/5 - Great, entertaining movie. Even for one uninitiated in Star Trek, but it's much better if you have at least seen the first reboot film.

We watched this at the newly opened SM Aura Premier. Check out our review of that experience here:
http://savvyaboutnothing.blogspot.com/2013/05/sm-aura-premier-pepper-lunch-express.html

Loved Star Trek Into Darkness? Hated it? Let me know by commenting below, or just tweet me!



Here's the trailer!

0 comments:

Post a Comment